Wednesday, July 30, 2014

This Is Parents' Worst Nightmare


I really don't know how the victims' parents can gather up the strength to fly here all the way from China, to attend their only son's funeral instead of his graduation.  This is too tragic for the parents who worked hard and made all that sacrifice to raise their only son to pursue a Phd in America,  just so they could lose him in such senseless murder.   USC is a very famous school, and very well known to Asians abroad.  But I never understood why.  It's insanely expensive and it's in a very high crime neighborhood.  I had attended a conference at USC a couple years ago and the drive wasn't pleasant.  I went there during broad daylight and all the way I prayed that I wouldn't be caught in a police freeway chase, or be caught in the cross  fire of the conflicts in the neighborhood.  I also prayed that I wouldn't have any car accident when I needed to stop my car.  May be I was too paranoid, but that neighborhood never gave me any good feeling.  

Many Asian students are used to study till very  late on campus and walk home in the wee hours because crime is never an issue in neighborhoods around the universities in their home countries.  I often rode the subway late at night in Hong Kong and I never felt unsafe.  But in Los Angeles, I feel unsafe sometimes when I am even driving in my own car in broad daylight.

Foreign students in Los Angeles often don't understand that not every street is safe here and they don't realize they just can't walk everywhere at anytime they want like they do in their home countries.  I will not recommend anybody to  pay all that money to go a school like USC.  UCLA is much safer, cheaper, and is in a much nicer area.  There are still crimes but not as frequent as USC. I think USC is not worth the money. It's ridiculous for anyone to pursue a Phd degree without being guaranteed he / she will finish the program alive. This kind of possibility doesn't exist in many schools elsewhere.

6 comments:

  1. That is very sad but unfortunately Los Angeles doesn't have a stellar reputation. A friend of mine used to live there but he moved further north away from crime areas. You couldn't pay me to live there or even visit for that matter. I think students everywhere need to always stay in groups and not travel alone. After shootings in colleges and schools around the country, extreme caution procedures need to be implemented and followed religiously.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You sound like my mother:) She came with my family from Hong Kong to visit a few years ago, and I can't pay her enough to come back again:( She said she would never want to come to LA again, even as a tourist. I don't blame her.

      Delete
  2. Even the ivy league schools in New England aren't in *great* neighborhoods. New Haven, Boston and Providence aren't what I'd call the safest cities. It's very unfortunate that we have to live in a world where we have to worry about our children's safety just to go to school. Believe me, I HATE leaving my child at school. I know it's a very good school, but any time she's not in my possession, I feel very helpless and anxious. And it's not just the bad neighborhood schools that have violence. Let us all remember Sandy Hook.
    I feel so sorry for this family's loss. I wish there werent bad people in the world. What's worse was that this person was a productive member of society. Very sad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why is it that all the good universities in the USA are built in such dangerous neighborhoods that are filled with gangs and robbers? Yet, people in China don't know about this because all they are told is how great all these universities are when they are shown beautiful brochures and videos of the campuses. No universities back in China or Asia are built in slumps and in ghettos. Why are all the Ivy Leagues built in bad neighborhoods? This is one of the big cultural shocks to me....

      Delete
  3. It's so incredibly sad and such a senseless murder. I will never, ever understand that kind of violence. How can anyone take the life of an innocent person?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Senseless murder happens all the time unfortunately in America and I don't know what we can do to stop the next one. Few months ago, there was this delusional kid in Santa Barbara who killed his Chinese roommates and now this Phd student also ended up dead. I think may be It's time for the government to censor violent and immoral media content....

      Delete